The League has grown from its beginnings in 1929, when 130 writers set the annual membership fee at $1. While numbers have fluctuated through the years, now, in 2010, the League has more than 200 members, and an annual membership fee of $30. A 502(c)3 non-profit, the League remains an all-volunteer organizaton. Members serve on the board, organize conferences, meetings, and workshops, and assist with operations in a variety of capacities.
League Membership Benefits
Writers actively enrolled in the League of Vermont Writers are entitled to:
- Discounted fees for:
- Quarterly meetings, held at various locations throughout Vermont and featuring presentations by established professionals. The League's newsletter, League Lines includes recaps of our presentations.
- Workshops led by respected professionals in a range of writing and writing-related fields
- Publishing conferences hosted by the League of Vermont Writers
- A subscription to the League's quarterly newsletter, League Lines
- Access to the members-only Manuscript Critique Service.
- All that, plus career-enhancing networking opportunities, for an annual membership fee of:
- $30.00 for individuals
- $40.00 for families (two people sharing the same mailing address)
Special Student Rate - (contact membership chair directly to arrange)
- Half-price individual memberships
- Further reduction in fees for regular meetings
- Submit a photocopy of current valid student id with membership application
- (Student membership limit: 6 years --may be nonconsecutive)
To join the League today, click on the "Sign Up Today" box on this page to pay by credit card, OR send your name, address, and contact information -- including email -- with a check payable to League of Vermont Writers, to the following address:
Tommy Walz, LVW Membership
157 Camp Street
Barre, VT 05641
For additional information, please contact the Membership Director Tommy Walz at